Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Don't Like Earthquakes!

Well, yesterday there was an earthquake at about 11:42 am - it shook fairly hard, and went on fairly long - I was really shaking - not just during it, but quite a few minutes after! They are calling the quake, centered in Chino Hills, a 5.4. Anyway, scary stuff - but I must say this one, though the biggest I've felt in years, was in no way even remotely comparable to the terror of the two "Big" Earthquakes I have been through - probably the two scariest events of my life. In the 1971 Sylmar earthquake we lived in Northridge, I was ten years old, and I was pretty traumatized for awhile after that. During the quake I just lay there in my bed as it shook - in shock, I guess. But for days, weeks, even a few months after I was scared to go upstairs in our house - every time I did it seemed like there was an aftershock. We didn't have electricity or water for what seems like at least a week, in my memory anyway - good part though - no school for a couple of weeks, and we did get to go to restaurants for all our meals for several days (all I can remember is going to the "Copper Penny" coffee shop again and again). The 1994 Northridge earthquake was very, very scary too. I lived in Agoura and - though they tell you to go under a doorway during an earthquake (today the news is saying that is a myth - go under a table) I just sat up in my bed during the quake, screamed (I think) and watched the TV set at the end of the bed lift up and down off the table. Wooo - just thinking about all this makes me shake!!

No comments: